Sunday, September 4, 2016

Owls Head Harbor

Owls Head Harbor 
6"x8" oil on canvas panel


My last painting from the Anne Blair Brown class was painted at Owls Head Harbor. Through the class I came to rely more and more on my Notan thumbnails (see below). That was particularly important here, because the boats swung around while I was squeezing out my paint. So I used the Notan for the composition and glances at each boat to grab their dark light patterns as they swung. Then, when I got home, I broke my rule number 1 of plein air painting "Don't muck with it when you get home".  I simplified a few things, and sadly I don't have a picture of the original. Lesson leaned!


The Notan I used for the above painting.

Other Notans of this scene, where I didn't think the composition was as strong.


No comments:

Post a Comment