Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Gilsland Snow Field Drawing

Inspired by an article in the Pastel Journal, my friend Suzanne and I set off on Sunday afternoon to do some winter plein air painting at Gilsland Farm in Falmouth. The sun was shining and we spent an hour hiking on trails packed down by snow shoe-ers and skiers before we set up to paint. We got some great photos, which turned out better than my painting did. It's really hard to get the values right under those conditions. This is a drawing of the north meadow looking west over the Presumpscot River basin.

1 comment:

  1. The winter scenes from the Pastel Journal are quite stunning. They (as well as your snow scenes) are inspiring me to paint winter subjects. Great composition above. Can't wait to see the actual painting. I can see myself snow-shooeing on that path!

    ReplyDelete