Saturday, August 29, 2009

Self Portrait with Sou'wester - NFS

For David Lobenberg's current self portrait global love in, he used my idea that we should all wear hats (or other headgear). This is my first try. Those who saw this painting today said "but you always smile, that's not how you look". Well, if you take a look at self portraits you'll find most of them have the artist staring intently at you with a frown of concentration on their face. That's because that's how you look when you spend an hour or so staring at yourself in a mirror trying to paint what you see!

This was an interesting exercise. At first I was intent on creating something that looked like a person, and then I moved on to try and make it look like me. At the "looks like a person stage" I may have a had a better painting, but she was a lot younger and didn't look much like me. The self portrait is a 6"X6" oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment