Thursday, July 23, 2009

Homage to Postcards from Detroit - "CMP Wyman Station"

A couple of weeks ago my friend Suzanne sent me to Stephen Magsig's "Postcards from Detroit" blog, where he posts his small paintings of abandoned buildings and commercial structures such as bridges and factory buildings. They are just awesome, and I immediately started following the blog. I love the way Stephen captures the sense of these scenes and his spare painting style.

We have such a structure here in Yarmouth, visible from near my house and all around Casco Bay. I had thought before of painting it, because it has a nice blocky feeling, industrially interesting. Suzanne and I were outside the other day, and Stephen's blog inspired us to paint what we all refer to as "the power plant", but was named CMP Wyman Station. (CMP stands for Central Maine Power, Wyman was it's founder.) The painting is a 6"X6" oil.

1 comment: